Sciatica is a common condition defined by the pain it causes to radiate along the path of the sciatic nerve. It is also notorious for causing chronic and debilitating lower back pain. Chiropractic care at Life and Vitality Chiropractic provides effective natural pain relief for sciatica without having to rely on pain medication or surgical intervention. Our chiropractors in Wayzata are versed in the latest chiropractic adjustment techniques, which can help relieve your pain and regulate nerve function.
What Causes Sciatica?
Two sciatic nerves branch from your lower back and extend through your hips, buttocks, and down each leg. Inflammation, irritation, and injuries to the nerve are common causes of pain. Other causes include pressure on the nerve root from the spine, a herniated lumbar disc, degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, and buttock muscle spasms. Obesity, osteoarthritis, heavy lifting, and prolonged sitting can increase the risk of the condition.
Sharp shooting leg pain is a distinct sign of pressure on your sciatic nerve. You may also experience these other symptoms:
- Leg pain or lower back pain that persists or comes and goes
- Pain that radiates down the left or right leg (both legs are rarely affected)
- Pain that worsens when sitting, standing, or twisting
- Tingling, numbness, or burning sensations down the leg
- Leg weakness or heaviness
How Our Chiropractors Treat Sciatica
Chiropractic treatment can relieve your pain naturally, so you won't have to worry about any harmful side effects. During your consultation, we will perform a physical exam and a series of tests to diagnose the problem. An X-ray of the spine and a neural test may be performed to check for disc herniations and nerve compression. Here is how Dr. Fuller and Dr. Froehling can help treat you if you are diagnosed with sciatic nerve pain:
- Spinal Adjustments: Adjustments provide lasting drug-free relief for your lower back pain and leg pain. The non-invasive treatment is done manually or using an instrument to realign the joints in the lower spine. This takes the pressure off of the affected disc or nerves and provides an opportunity for your body to heal naturally. Adjustments also relieve joint restrictions, restore misaligned discs, and improve nerve signal transmission.
- Neuromuscular Therapy: This is a form of deep tissue massage that targets individual muscles. It increases blood flow, relaxes the muscles, increases flexibility, and relieves pain by stimulating the release of endorphins.
- Nutrition and Wellness Counseling: You will get advice on the right foods, therapeutic exercises, and lifestyle habits that help prevent inflammation and pain and improve your overall well-being.
Contact Our Trusted Chiropractors in Wayzata, MN
Don't let sciatica keep you from enjoying your life when drug-free solutions are available at Life and Vitality Chiropractic. Call us today at 952-746-5351 to schedule an appointment with one of our chiropractors.