A migraine is a headache that varies in intensity. Migraine triggers are different for everyone. They are also normally accompanied by sensitivity to light and nausea. Many people who suffer from migraine headaches tend to have a few warning symptoms. You do not have to suffer any longer. Chiropractic treatment is beneficial for those who suffer from migraines. We can treat your migraines at Life and Vitality Chiropractic in Wayzata, MN.
Causes & Symptoms
Both environmental and genetic factors can play a role in causing migraines, although the causes are not fully known. Changes and imbalances in the brainstem and brain chemicals may be involved. Serotonin is a brain chemical that helps to regulate pain within your nervous system. Researchers are still trying to piece together the role that serotonin plays in causing migraines.
Migraine symptoms consist of:
- Sensitivity to sound, light, and sometimes even touch and smell
- Nausea and vomiting
- Throbbing or pulsating pain
- Pain that is usually on one side of your head but sometimes on both
Many things may trigger a migraine headache. These include:
- Hormonal changes in women: Estrogen levels fluctuate before and during a women’s period. They also fluctuate during pregnancy and menopause. These fluctuations can trigger migraines in some women. Oral contraceptives can also worsen migraines.
- Stress: Both at home and work stress can result in migraines.
- Drinks: Alcohol specifically as well as too much caffeine.
- Sensory stimuli: Sun glare and bright lights can cause migraines. Strong smells and loud noises can trigger them as well.
- Changes in sleep: Not getting enough sleep or too much sleep can trigger migraines in some people.
Other triggers of migraine headaches may include:
- Food additives
One of the best ways to manage and treat the pain associated with migraines is through chiropractic care. Chiropractors use non-invasive, non-addictive procedures to treat migraines. Chiropractic adjustments are used to decrease any joint restrictions or misalignments within the spine. This also helps other joints in the body. As a result, the inflammation is reduced and patients will also experience an improvement in their nervous system function. Chiropractic care improves physical performance and function, decreases inflammation, decreases discomfort and pain, and relieves tension disorders.
Get Migraine Relief in Wayzata, MN
If migraines have become a frequent part of your life, our team at Life and Vitality Chiropractic is here to help. Call us today at 952-746-5351 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Froehling or Dr. Fuller.